Monday, July 7, 2008

Our trip to IKEA

So this actually happened a week and a half ago, it's just taken me awhile to blog about it.
It all started with Bo having the day off on Friday, June 27. We decided to go up to IKEA to get a dresser for the kids room. I have tons to do to get ready for the baby, and dresser was much needed.
We did pretty good at getting out of the house at10 in the a.m. and were driving on the freeway, over halfway way there (it takes a little over an hour to get there), when we see this metal strap/rod poking up out of the freeway--it was part of the bridge. YEAH. . .There was no way to avoid it. We had cars on both sides of us and hence we couldn't swerve around it. We heard our tire make this weird noise, knowing it was popped, and took the next exit off so we could see what happened.
Sure enough, our tire was torn. yippie. The tire was only a year old too. Stinking freeway. Bo got out and started to put on the spare, while I had the wonderful job of calling the police to report it. After talking to like 5 different operators, I finally got through to someone and they sent the police over. After I got off the phone, I looked back on the freeway, and right where we had hit the piece of metal, another car was pulled off to the side. How much you want to guess the same thing happened to them? A tow truck eventually came to help them.
Anyways. The police gave us a claim to file and mail in, and off they went. So about an hour after the tire incident, we start heading off again, thinking we'd just go to a tire store and get a new tire. That's when all the lights came on. The check vehicle soon, brake, anti-lock brake, and traction lights all came on. SWEET. We called GEICO, our car insurance peeps, told them the story, and then decided to head back to Galveston. No IKEA for me. Let me just tell you, I was pretty darn upset.
After taking it to Firestone and getting it checked, we found out our allignment was ruined too. Lucky for us, they think the lights all came on because the spare was on, because once the tire was replaced, the lights went away and haven't come back on. So . . . total damage was just allignment and tire. $200 worth. It could've been worse I guess. All I can say is that the stupid Texas Department of Transportation had better pay us back! We have a baby coming and I really don't have anything. I got rid of it all when we moved from Alaska down her to Texas. We packed only what we could fit in our car.
They'd better pay back too. It wasn't like this was some garbage in the road, it was PART of the stinking road! It was a metal strap that had snapped and curved up out of the crack to get us!
We got our car back early Saturday, and then Bo was sweet enough to take me back up to Houston to get my dresser. What a sweetheart. The dresser looks good too. I can now clean out the closet!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Was it rebar?
NIGHTMARE!

Unknown said...

I deserve that. I'm sorry. Does it help that it happened to me?

I don't have cynical moments often.

Robin Conner said...

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about that story, but I couldn't help laughing a bit too! I do hope they pay you for that, that's crazy! Thanks sooo much for the blog help. I'm getting there, but still not where I want to be with it. I'm having header problems, but some day I'll try and figure that out. any way girly, I miss seeing ya, I hope your pregnancy is going well! Squish that belly for me! :)
Love, Robin

Tiffany Fackrell said...

Oh man that seriously stinks, i hope they pay for it!

Jordon and Terra said...

I swear you and Bo have more happen to you than anyone I know! You just have the luck! haha Just wanted to let you know that I do get on and read your blog. Sometimes I'm just a little slow! I started a blog for Jordon and I! It's jordonandterra.blogspot.com. Love ya!

Charee said...

That whole little story sounds like something that would happen to us! I'm glad you still got your dresser--I love IKEA! I really hope you guys get your money back and extra for the trouble!

Whidget said...

Just think--if you hadn't thrown that $100 in the trash can last year, you would only be out $100 now!!

The Beus Gang

Bo, Cassidy, and Carter Beus