Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The Pumpkin Patch!!

Honestly, one of the things that got me most excited to move up here was the thought that we would actually get to go to a real live pumpkin patch. Seriously.

For the past 5 years of living in Texas, yes it was 5 (we lived in Temple, TX for a year before starting med. school), we had not once gone to a real pumpkin patch. All the pumpkin patches we had around us were fake! We're talking a church grassy area with hay bales and meticulously placed pumpkins. I've gotta say, for someone who grew up on a farm, seeing a "pumpkin patch" like that and showing it to your kids, well it was just plain embarrassing.

But not this year baby!! This year my kids got to see that pumpkins actually grow in the fields! I should have worn my bibs. Okay, I don't really have any... pathetic. So anyways... we had a lot of fun. The kids loved picking out their little pumpkins, playing in the straw maze, jumping off or sliding down the huge hay pile, and being out in the fresh air. They had a "dinosaur" that ate/squashed pumpkins. Carter LOVED watching it. Meg wouldn't go anywhere NEAR that area. They also made a slide out of an old combine (for you non-farmers, a combine is a tractorish machine that cuts down crops. Think the bull from CARS), which was a big hit with my kids. You'd better believe I told my dad all about it. I'm thinking of introducing that idea to ML. :)

We had tons of fun. It will definitely be a repeat, or at least going to a real pumpkin patch will be one. They have lots of farms around here where you can go pick your own pumpkins, apples, raspberries (remember old post?), and other things. So maybe next year we'll try a different farm. Either way, we're loving it.


Going on a hay ride out to the field to pick us some pumpkins!

No comments:

The Beus Gang

Bo, Cassidy, and Carter Beus