Wednesday, March 28, 2007

My little treasure chest key

Okay, so I know this is cheesy (and then some) but it took me forever to sleep last night, so while trying to get some shut-eye, I made up this poem. At first I was going to call it an Ode to Sleep, but then later I switched it.
My Little Treasure Chest Key
Oh why, oh why, can I not go to sleep?
The house is quiet and no one's making a peep!
I have been tossing and turning in this uncomfortable bed,
Trying to get songs and thoughts out of my head.
So to pass time I think I'll make up this Ode,
It's a good way to kill time--or so I've been told.
I need to do something to bring on the sleep,
I've tried clearing my head, and I even counted some sheep!
Oh this is annoying as I lay watching the clock,
but with this Ode, there's definetly no writer's block.
What a dumb little rhyme this Ode has started to become,
But what else am I to do? This no sleep thing is tiresome.


Oh no, oh crud, ahhhh! What's that I hear?
Could I be hearing my baby's cry--and not too dear?
What a horrible trick, for I'd finally drifted away,
I look at the clock and what does it say?
Ten minutes thats it???
My teeth start to grit.
I've only been asleep for a little while when,
My little boy decided he wanted out of his pen.
AHHHHH. I cry, and try to ignore him and sleep.
But try as I might, his lungs pierced my ears deep.
Out of bed I get, and pick up my little child.
Sure enough, as soon as I get him he turns sweet and mild.


With bottle in mouth and in my arms his sweet head,
I look at him, and bad thoughts are left dead.
For here is my little treasure chest key.
He has opened up the most dearest things to me.
He has unlocked this great love that I never knew,
And other great treasures that I'd never thought possible, come true!


With this child, I have discovered great love,
and other great feelings that I know came from above.
What a wonderful opportunity, being a mother,
And seeing him so sweet, makes me think it's time for another.
To put down in words what I feel for this son,
Would be absolutely impossible, impossible and then some.
So while sometimes I'm tired and not quite gung ho,
I'll just look at my boy, and try fresh tomorrow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cassidy....this is so sweet. I loved it. You're incredible.
Love,
Aunt Jane

Jordon and Terra said...

Hey Cassidy! I loved the poem! That was so cute! I love the picture of Carter and Bo too! How acorable was that!?! Well I hope all is going well for you! Good luck getting him back on a normal sleeping schedule. Sorry for messing that up for you! haha Love ya!

Adri said...

Cassidy - this is SO me! My little boy is eight months and a terrible sleeper. I get so frustrated when he wakes up. But when I nurse him back to sleep and look at his little face I can't help but fall in love for the millionth time. We don't get many quiet moments because he is such an active little guy so I really try to cherish the late nights - as sleepy as I may be.
(p.s. I hope you don't mind me looking at your blog...I can't even remember how I found it!)

Samantha said...

Cassidy- that's such a great poem. You'll be so happy you wrote it down when you look back at it in a couple of years. It makes me want to rhyme!

Cassidy said...

Thanks everyone for thinking the poem was good. I realize it is sappy and cheesy, but I still wanted to write it. I showed it to Bo and he thought it was super cheesy. So thanks for making me feel not so dumb.
By the way, Bo liked it too, but just thought it was cheesy.

Samantha said...

Cassidy, I have to tell you- I thought your poem was so cute. And then I brought my two little twins home from the hospital, and while I was reading your poem to my mom, it made me cry! I loved your poem before, but now it's really hitting home!

The Beus Gang

Bo, Cassidy, and Carter Beus