Thursday, March 1, 2012

Derrick's First Birthday!

My baby is ONE. Actually he's been one for a couple of weeks now... haha.
Derrick is a Valentine's baby, but we didn't actually celebrate his birthday on Valentine's Day because Bo was at work ALL.DAY.LONG. So instead we celebrated it a few days later when he had a day off.
We took Derrick and the kids, you know... those other ones who shall not be named (jk), to a local bouncy house place. The kids had so much fun jumping around and going down the slide. Derrick wasn't too hot about the idea at first, but then warmed up to it towards the end.
That night we had cake and presents. Derrick got some bath toys, which the older kids promptly claimed, and thats about it. Hey, he's one, and he has older siblings who already have all the toys a kid could need, so he has plenty of things to keep him entertained.
I was lame this year. I'm sorry Derrick. I had grand dreams of making a super awesome cake and having a super awesome family party, but when it came right down to it, I was tired, I was frazzled, and you, you won't remember anyways. Besides, you got a cake all to yourself, which is really all anyone ever wants anyways. ;)
Derrick didn't know what to do with the cake. I envisioned him plowing into it. I envisioned him laughing while plunging those cute baby hands into the cake. I even in envisioned him looking at me with those gorgeous brown eyes and telling me that he loves me and that I'm the bomb-diggity (okay not really on the last one). :)
Instead he just dipped a finger in and licked it. Then he did again. Thats it. Finally I fed him a bite and he started enjoying it. He still wouldn't feed himself the cake though until I gave him the spoon. Funny kid.
So that's it. My baby is one. He's walking, he has around four teeth, he sorta says "Mama", he LOVES his brother and sister. He loves to throw anything and everything, especially down the stairs. He adores Bo, he gives me hugs all the time. He is taking bottles (YAY)! He drinks whole milk. He thinks the world revolves around him, which it does. He is a wonderful, wonderful baby. And yes, I'm still calling him a baby, even if he IS a one year old now. Because I am not even close to having another one anytime soon, so he will be called baby for as long as it takes.














5 comments:

Jordon and Terra said...

I need to see that little boy!!! He looks so grown up! And I think that football cake is adorable, better than I would do! Looks like the kids all had fun! We are SOO excited to see you guys in a few months! :)

Alan said...

I love the "you are special today!" plate! We had one of those in my family growing up, and its appearance was greatly anticipated!

Kennedy said...

What a cutie. I just love his big brown eyes. they grow up fast dont they? if you are ever in town let me know!!

Katie said...

Wait a minute! This kid's ONE?! When did that happen? I swear, I was just reading posts about him being born. Happy birthday, Derrick!

Kevin and Eliza said...

What a cute little guy. Very cute football cake. It still continues to amaze me how fast they grow up.

The Beus Gang

Bo, Cassidy, and Carter Beus