Saturday, July 23, 2011

What. A. Week.

*note--if you're feeling down, just read this, it might make you feel better.

Monday: Let me just start off by saying that this week started off with my birthday on Monday. I am now 29. Only one year left in the 20's. I gotta admit it, I'm really sad about that.
So anyways, Bo had to work all. day. long. on my birthday. He left about 6 am ish and didn't get home till after midnight. That was a bummer deal, but whatever. Carter brought me lots of his toys wrapped in blankets as presents. What a sweetie. I treated myself to Chipotle for dinner. YUM. I did have a friend who hung out with me too, so it wasn't too bad.
Tuesday: Anyways, Tuesday wasn't bad either, just busy. I really really REALLY wanted to go to Harry Potter for my birthday, and Wednesday was Bo's only free night, so I tried getting a babysitter, but wouldn't you know it, all the babysitters either had mutual or institute for Wed. BUMMER.
Wednesday: I woke up Wednesday with the great idea that I'd swap with a friend in the ward (my only friend in the ward). She said she'd love to. SWEET. One problem. Carter started not feeling well and wouldn't eat a thing. I thought he might be tired and was optimistically hoping he would feel better after nap. Apparently not, because after nap he had a fever and was crying. Dang it. No date. Well at least no date out. Bo and I did make up for it, kinda, by renting part one of the Harry Potter Deathly Hallows and eating Panda Express while the kids cried themselves to sleep. haha.
Thursday: About two in the morning Carter came into my room saying he threw up. Joy. Luckily it was only a little, since honestly he hadn't eaten anything all day, and it was in a bowl. I helped him out, put him back to bed, and three hours later Derrick woke up ready to play. I got him back to sleep a little bit later only to have Meg come in at 7 am ready for the day. I knew it was going to be a long day, and I was dreading having to deal with Carter being sick. If only that were my problem for the day.
I came down the stairs with Meg, ready to sleep some more on the couch, only to hear a trickling noise. I thought it was the faucet, so I checked all the bathrooms. Nope. I looked up in my living room, and to my horror, could see patches starting to droop on the ceiling. No. Way. I ran upstairs, because yes, our water heater is upstairs, and sure enough, the water heater was broken. So was the tray under it. Kinda defeats the point of having a tray, if it's BROKEN. About a half hour later, the water started dripping out of my ceiling into my living room. Thank goodness I was at least prepared and had pans and towels ready.
I called Bo, who was on his way to work, and he told me to call the home warranty people. Home w. people said they'd have a plumber call me. He called me an hour later to inform me he would make it over as soon as he could, but it might not be till tomorrow. WHAT???? Thankfully he came at 2. From 7 am to 2 I was pretty much running up and down the stairs with wet and dry towels. So many towels. So much water. All by myself. Carter was still sick. He had diarhea. He needed me to help him. Derrick was hungry and wanting to be held. Megan wouldn't stop washing her little princess dolls in the pots of water on the floor that were collecting the water. Can we say AHHHHHHH! I remember thinking, it's not even 10 yet. We didn't get naps because we had to wait for the plumber men to come. They came. They looked at my ceiling, told me I'd better get a restoration guy here asap, went upstairs and confirmed the water heater had indeed broken (you think?), realized they brought the wrong water heater replacement, and left. Left me home to watch the water keep dripping even though they had said the water was turned off. Restoration guy came. He quoted $2500 at least. Thank heavens for insurance. Said as soon as he got permission from insurance, he'd get started.
I called the insurance people crying, because by then the water was a constant STREAM, no longer drips, I was on low sleep, my kids on no naps, and I couldn't call anyone because I don't know anyone here, its a 3 hour difference to WA where my dad is, and everyone in my family pretty much has their own problems anyways. The insurance lady was very nice and helpful. I love Liberty Mutual. She told me I was doing what I was supposed to be doing. She got my adjuster to call me. He was helpful. Ceiling started to slow down dripping. Bo called at 4 and said he was coming home, about 2 hours early! Bo came home just in time to meet the plumbers getting ready to finally install my new heater. I left. I had to. I was losing it. I went to Target, a wonderful, wonderful place.
I came home and the restoration guy was setting up the fans, 9 in total, and two dehumidifiers. I didn't realize this, but the worst was still coming. How? Well Indiana has been having HOT HOT weather. Heat index of 105 weather. So my ac was already running a lot, and it is HOT outside. What do you think my house might feel like with 9 fans and 2 huge dehumidifiers. I'll tell you, no I'll let the thermostat tell you, 89 degrees!!! It is sooooo hot in our house now. The bedrooms are a little cooler, but all in all, we are drinking a lot of water and getting out of the house as much as possible. At least it cools down a little at night. Oh yeah, and the guy says that all of this needs to run for 4 to 5 days at least.
Friday: You 'd think I'd seen the worst. Friday afternoon I go into see Carter during his quiet time, and he is kicking the wall and crying. His ear hurts. I bring him downstairs, and start looking for a pediatrician, because I know my boy, and he NEVER complains of ear aches. It's like 3:45 in the afternoon. I call a pediatrician and she tells me I can come in, if I get there as soon as I can. I was out of the house in record time. Poor Meg, I had to wake her up from her nap. We get in the car, go to the Dr, and sure enough, it's an ear infection. We get the prescriptions and head out the door to drive over to Target, because that is a wonderful, wondeful store, and I need to fill Carter's prescription. At this point I need to mention that I am driving Bo's car because he was going on a retreat (leaving me home alone with the kids for the whole weekend) that evening and he needed the Explorer to car pool some of the other residents. He took the car with wonderul ac and tinted windows. I was left with a car with horrible, unreliable ac. Remember, heat index of 105. The seat belts burned my kids, shoot they burned ME. So I get in Bo's car and start driving to the store when all the sudden the car starts shuddering and acting like it's out of gas. I looked down at the dash and no, it has gas, instead it was OVERHEATING. The ac stopped working. The car drove like it wanted to shift but couldn't. It was crawling. I started to panic. I was out on some random road, with three kids in the back, and I didn't know what to do. I prayed. I prayed and I prayed and I PRAYED. I'm proud to admit that I didn't start crying. We made it to Target, but barely. That car practically coasted in the parking lot. I looked back at my kids, and you should have seen them. Carter's hair was all damp. Meg's face was RED. Derrick's little bald head had sweat dripping all over it. My poor babies.
I got a hold of Bo. He couldn't come help me out till 6:30, but at least he'd be able to, because they weren't heading off for his retreat till 7:30. An hour and half to kill in Target. This actually might have been the best part of the week. hahaa. The kids got icee's. They got to play with the toys. I bought tv dinners, because there is no way I'm cooking in a 90 degree house.
Bo came. He saved us. He put coolant and oil in the car. He let us drive the wondeful cold Explorer home. He even left it for us. He got someone else to carpool to the retreat. We came home. Thermostat said it was 91. I turned off those dumb fans and dehumidifier. We cooled down. Turned everything back on and then it was bed.
Saturday: Spent as much time in the cool places of the house as we could. Went to the nice air conditioned library and then McDonalds for dinner. We're all tired and whiney. I blame it on the heat.
Thank goodness tomorrow is Sunday. We'll get to spend three hours in a nice air conditioned building. Not to mention, it'll be the beginning of a new week.
Fingers crossed.
Bo and I figure that other stuff might as well break (okay not really) since we'd already met our deductable for both the insurance and the warranty. We haven't even paid our first mortgage payment yet. Oh yeah, and the house inspector that did our house is going to get an earfull on Monday, because you'd think he would have noticed THREE cracks in the plate under the water heater.
Enjoy the pics.

Downstairs.The cooler and bucket are there because I had to switch them from the pans because it was dripping SO MUCH.

Restoration guy poked three holes in our ceiling to help get it to start drying.

This is upstairs.


Stormie said...

I don't know why reading about your awful week is supposed to make me feel better, but maybe it did just a little bit. :) Just kidding.

I'm so sorry. It does seem like things kept getting worse and worse! Wow! Sorry you had such a crazy birthday week. I sure hope this next week is better for you!

Jer wanted me to ask if Bo is liking his residency.

I'm sad we're too far away to help out now! Take care Cass! P.S. If you have a chance & your library has it, you should read The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal. It's really good!

Stormie said...

P.P.S. Miyah still talks about you guys a lot! She'll pretend to talk to you all on her phone and she'll list all your names off: Megan, Carter, Cassidy, Bone. :) I think it's hilarious what she calls Bo. She never quite caught on to Derrick for some reason. But she misses you guys. But the good news is, you're finally off the airplane. You're no longer flying around constantly. She knows you moved (she understands this concept now since the Dickinsons moved recently), and she knows you're no longer on the airplane. Kids. :)

Samantha said...

Cass, I was going to say the same thing. Reading that someone else is having a bad week never makes me feel better! In fact, I seriously had tears come to my eyes while reading the part about your car almost not making it to target, after EVERYTHING else (granted, I've been slightly emotional lately- not sure why. NOT pregnant).

You should re-do your birthday week. Starting tomorrow. Happy Birthday!! I seriously hope you have a better week, your kids feel better, and you get more husband and more target time.

Kacey Nielsen said...

Thank you. I actually feel better!

Oh and sorry... but seriously, thanks!

Tyler - Danielle - Emree said...

I just want to invite you over and give you a hug!

cherie said...

oh, cassidy, that is the pits. So many helpless moments.

You sure did a great job dealing with all that! Sam's right, you need a reward.

Jordon and Terra said...

Oh wow I'm so sorry Cass!! What a terrible week! Hopefully things go better this next week! You did an amazing job handling it all though! On Wednesday or Thursday I think I probably would have just sat down and cried for the rest of the week. And I'm really sorry I called and complained to you about MY problems. Next time tell me to shut my mouth and that you have bigger things to worry about! :) Hope everyone feels better this next week and you get some relaxation time. You definitely deserve it!!

Soylent Green said...

I AM SO SORRY!!!! That really stinks, beyond stinks. I am glad that Bo came home to help towards the end, and that the insurance will pay for it. I was so sad when reading this! I wish I could give you a hug. Sniff* I agree with Sam, birthday-do-over!!!

Soylent Green said...

Soylent Green is Cortney Jones, sorry!

Heslop Family said...

Cass, I love you! This is why you are my favorite friend! You make everything better and are so funny about it. Target always makes me feel better too! I hope everything gets fixed for you soon, if not I will come get you and bring you to my house!

Serena said...

Geez, I think you filled your "crap happens" quota for awhile. Thank heavens for Target & Icee's, right? Ugh, sorry about your no-good horrible very bad week! Seriously, it sounds like.the.pits. This heat is really unreal & I can't imagine no A/C, and the stress of dealing w/it while Bo was at work & the kids sick, that's the worst. Way to hang in there. Praying you have a great week, you deserve a break!

Kevin and Eliza said...

Oh I'm sorry, that does sound like a terrible week. Oh isn't it fun to own your own place and get to take full responsibility for it. Hang in there and I hope this week is much much better.

Claudia and Glenn Walker said...

Let me make you feel better. I still preggo, my three kids had bugs ONE AT THE TIME (puking, fever and cough) all my friends neighbords kids also got the this horrible bug. We are stuck in the house. I'm having painful contractions BUT NO DILATED!! my doctor of course won't induse me. I say let's have a pitty party togheter and laugh about life and the "little" challanges that it brings into our lives:) Hang in there my friend. I'm sure things will get better. However it's nice to vent:) miss ya!

Elizabeth said...

Cassidy, I feel so bad for you. I hope things improve. It never turns out like we thought it would. Love you tons. It's making you strong.

Team Howsley said...

ugh. That's why we have NO desire to own a house again for a LONG time. Hope nothing else breaks, at least for a bit!

The Beus Gang

Bo, Cassidy, and Carter Beus